Stuffed Green Peppers
Submitted by: Sue in NJ
I usually make a double batch of these and freeze the leftovers. They reheat in the microwave within minutes. I've even made these in the microwave on High for about 20 minutes. Since everyone's oven is different, yours may take less or more time than mine. Since it's going up to 90 today, that's probably how I'll make this batch.
3 large green peppers
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 large onion -- chopped
3 cups tomato -- chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil -- use more if fresh
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon agave nectar or other liquid sweetener
1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise & remove the seeds.
2. Steam peppers for 5 minutes then drain.
3. Fry the onions until translucent.
4. Reserve half the tomatoes. Mix the other half with the cooked rice,
onion, spices, and add salt & pepper to taste.
5. Stuff the pepper shells with this mixture and place them in a shallow
pan. You may want to use parchment paper or a spray of oil to prevent
6. Puree the remaining tomatoes in a blender and add the sweetener. Pour
this over the tops of the stuffed peppers.
7. Bake at 375º for 30 to 40 minutes.
Serving Size : 3
"New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook page 161"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 312 Calories; 3g Fat (7.1% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 68g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
NOTES : Original recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of oil for sautéing.
back to fatfreevegan.com