Artichoke and Potato Gratin
Submitted by: Courtney (from Vegetarian Times, March 2005)
2 tomatoes, one diced and one halved and thinly sliced
2 9 oz. packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped, plus extra for garnish
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt (could be left out for E2L)
1 15.5-oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 C vegetable stock
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/12 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
1/4 C ground walnuts (optional, I would think, to make it lower fat)
1) preheat oven to 375. Spray 2-qt gratin dish with non-stick spray
2) Toss together diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, scallions, 1/2 tsp. oregano, and 1/4 tsp. salt in bowl. Set aside.
3) put beans, stock, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in food processor, puree. Line bottom of dish with half sliced sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and rest of pepper. Spread on bean mixture, add artichoke mixture and cover with potatoes; reserve 20 slices.
4) Arrange tomato slices and remaining sweet potato slices on top, overlapping edges. Sprinkle with remaining oregano and salt. Dust with pepper. Cover.
5) bake 45 minutes, or till tender. Remove cover, and sprinkle with ground walnuts, if wanted. Bake 15 minutes more, or until topping is golden brown. Wait 10 minutes before serving.
As I said, I have not yet made this, but the photo in the magazine makes it look lovely--good enough for guests or a nice family dinner!
back to fatfreevegan.com