Slow and Easy Mushroom and Green Bean Stroganoff
Recipe By :Robin Robertson
Submitted by: Sue in NJ
2 tablespoons water -- or broth
16 ounces mushrooms -- quartered
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable stock
1 large yellow onion -- chopped
1 large green bell pepper -- seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
8 ounces green beans -- washed & trimmed to 1"
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 cup soy sour cream
1. Brown the mushrooms in a tablespoon or water (or broth) for 3-4 minutes and remove to another dish.
2. In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste with 1/4 cup of stock and set aside.
3. Add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet, adding more water if needed. Cook until all vegetables are softened, then whisk in the flour, mixing well to prevent lumping. Cook for about a minute to remove the starchy taste.
4. Add everything except the mushrooms & sour cream to the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
5. About a half hour before serving, add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Turn to HIGH for about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and the sauce is thickened.
6. Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream, then serve at once.
"Meaty mushrooms and tender green beans stand in for beef in this creamy Eastern European classic. Serve over wide noodles. - Robin Robertson"
"Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker"
Serving Size : 4
Per Serving: 181 Calories; 3g Fat (16.0% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 891mg Sodium.
NOTES : Sue's notes:
Original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of olive oil for heating the mushrooms. To make this a bit more "hearty" for the big eaters in the family, add about a half cup or so of TVP or soy crumbles or even some white variety of beans.
back to fatfreevegan.com