- 4 slices whole wheat vegan bread, broken into large pieces
- 3/4 cup minced celery
- 3/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1 small green pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 16 ounces okara (about what you get from making one batch of soymilk)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (the quick kind, not instant)
- 1/4 cup fatfree vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 2 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. dulse flakes (may use other flaked sea vegetable)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor or blender, whirl vegan
bread pieces into fine crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and toast in the oven
for 8 to 10 minutes, or until dried and toasty. Remove from oven and set
2. Brush a skillet with oil and cook celery, onion, carrot, pepper and
parsley until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine okara, sautéed vegetable mixture, oatmeal,
mayonnaise, corn starch, and seasonings. Mix well.
4. Using about 1/4 cup for each, form mixture into about 15-20 patties
about 2 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Coat each patty with vegan
bread crumbs to cover.
5. Place patties on a sprayed or nonstick baking sheet and spray tops
lightly with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over and
return to the oven to bake until second side is toasty and browned, about
Serve with cocktail sauce or vegan tartar sauce.