Buffalo Style Green Beans and Tofu
Recipe By :KP2003 Healthy Flavors 2003-July-31
Serving Size : 2
7 ounces Tofu Light Firm
2/3 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons garlic pepper orange glaze
teriyaki baste and glaze
2 teaspoons water
TOFU AND BEANS:
1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
oil or spray
6 ounces green beans
STIR FRY VEGETABLES:
2 green onions -- finely sliced
2 teaspoons minced garlic -- or less to taste
1/2 cup sliced zucchini -- thin, half-moon
salt and black pepper
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
water -- water as needed
1. Cut tofu into 2 pieces per serving: 1/2-inch thick by 1-inch wide by 3-inch long (or the width of the tofu block.) Drain tofu pieces flat between towels with a weight for 30 to 60 minutes.
2. Sauce: Whisk together the oil, Worcestershire sauce, orange juice, and glaze [try Iron Chef's Orange Ginger and Sesame Garlic]
3. About 20 minutes before the meal: put rice on to cook (steam or boil).
TIP - For the next steps, you can use the same pan, such as a nonstick flat bottom wok with lid.
4. Trim beans; cut into 1-inch lengths. Cook until crisp tender (4 minutes maximum). Shock in cold water. Towel dry. Set aside.
5. Rub the tofu with a cajun seasoning (Emeril's). Heat a nonstick skillet or flat bottom wok to a moderate temperature. Add oil or spray the surface of the pan. Brown the tofu about 4 minutes per side, adjusting heat to prevent burning. Remove tofu to paper towels to drain. Do not drain the pan.
6. In the same skillet, stir in onions and cook 1 or 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the zucchini with pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir fry until zucchini is lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and basil. Do not stir: wait for the pan to reheat. Stir gently to warm but not stew the tomatoes. Add the sauce ingredients; fold gently to coat the vegetables; add water to thin if needed. Reduce the heat to low. Add the tofu to the pan; turn the tofu to coat the other side with the sauce.
7. Serve hot. Divide the rice into serving bowls. Serve the sauté on top.
7 Weight Watchers points
Adapted from a recipe posted to Veg-Recipes
back to fatfreevegan.com