Soba Noodles with Miso Broth
Submitted by: Courtney
Recipe by: Adapted from a Cooking Light Recipe
For more heat, add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper instead of 1/4 teaspoon. Although their tough texture makes them undesirable to eat, the shiitake stems are used to flavor the broth, then discarded.
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 9 cups fat-free, less-sodium veggie broth
- 1 (5-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 whole garlic head, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso (soybean paste)
- 1 (14-ounce) package extrafirm tofu, drained and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Remove stems from mushrooms. Reserve stems. Slice mushroom caps into (1/4-inch) julienne strips; set aside.
Combine stems, broth, ginger, and garlic in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Add miso to broth, stirring well with a whisk. Add tofu. Cover and keep warm.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms caps and pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes in a little water or until browned. Add to broth mixture.
Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
Place 2/3 cup noodles into each of 6 shallow bowls; pour 1 1/2 cups hot broth mixture over each serving. Garnish each serving with 1/4 cup cabbage, about 1 1/2 tablespoons carrots, about 1 1/2 tablespoons onions, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
back to fatfreevegan.com