Red Lentil Mulligatawny with Apple Celery Salsa
Submitted by: Courtney
Recipe by: Adapted from a Cooking Light Recipe
This rich, creamy soup will thicken as it cools. Thin with hot water, a tablespoon at a time, to the desired consistency. Lentils provide fiber, folate, and protein, as well as iron. The fresh topping adds vitamin C, plus a dose of quercetin.
- 2/3 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium veggie broth/stock
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To prepare salsa, combine the first 4 ingredients; cover and chill.
To prepare soup, combine broth, lentils, and onion in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Pour half of lentil mixture in a blender; let stand 5 minutes. Process until smooth. Pour pureed lentil mixture into a bowl. Pour remaining lentil mixture into blender; process until smooth. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, and turmeric; process until smooth. Return coconut milk mixture and remaining pureed lentil mixture to pan. Cover and simmer over medium heat 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon juice, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1/4 cup salsa.
back to fatfreevegan.com