Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
Submitted by: Courtney
Recipe by: Adapted from a Lorna Sass recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 lb. frozen (rinsed and defrosted) or fresh corn kernels (about 4 cups)
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C finely diced celery
- 1 C diced red onion
- 1/4 C diced shallots
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 C vegetable broth/stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 russet (baking) potato (about 8 ounces)
- 2 Tablespoons minced parsley
1. Set the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 425. Spray a large roasting pan with pan spray.
2. Scatter the sweet potatoes in one layer in the roasting pan. Season well with salt and pepper (optional). Roast until tender, tossing once or twice, 15 to 20 min. If you'd like to brown the sweet potatoes more deeply, set them about 5 inches below the broiling element for a minute or two. Ste aside.
3. Reserve 1 C of corn kernels. In a blender, puree the remaining corn with the water until very smooth, about 2 min. (if the corn kernel skins refuse to break down, and they look unsightly to you, pass the mixture through a sieve.) Set aside.
4. Heat a heavy soup pot, and add a little water/broth/pan spray. Cook the celery, onion, and shallots over med. high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are slightly softened, about 3 min. Add the tomato paste and thyme and cook another min., stirring frequently. Add the broth, pureed corn, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. While bringing the chowder to a boil, peel the potato, cut it into 1/2 inch dice, and add it to the pot. Cover the pot and simmer until the potato is tender, about 25 to 35 min.
6. Remove the bay leaf. Add the reserved corn kernels, roasted sweet potatoes, and parsley. Cook until heated throughout.
back to fatfreevegan.com