Andi's Broccoli Couscous Soup
Submitted by: Angela
Here's a recipe my sister shared with me... she adapted a recipe she found on the side of a box of CousCous so that it is Fat Free Vegan. I made it last night to go with Heart-shaped Vegan Pizzas and this soup was so yummy! It would go great with any hearty bread.
1 lg onion, chopped
garlic powder (to taste)
2 veggie boullion cubes (the little square ones, not the big
4 cups (about) fresh broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous (uncooked)
1 Tbls nutritional yeast flakes
1 1/2 Tbls lemon juice (I used lemon juice from a bottle...not
directly from a lemon)
5 cups water
1. In large saucepan, sauté onion in water and garlic powder...evaporate all the water and let pan stuff brown a little and then add more water (a la McDougall). Cook the 2nd addition of water about all the way out til the onions are soft.
2. Add 5 cups of water, the broccoli and couscous and bouillon cubes.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli is soft. Add the yeast flakes and lemon juice.
4. Puree, (in blender or food processor or) use immersion blender right in the pan.
5. Return to stove and simmer about 5 more minutes.
back to fatfreevegan.com