Curried Lentil, Potato, and Cauliflower Soup
Submitted by: Courtney, adapted from Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons, posted in In a Vegetarian Kitchen Newsletter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- One 16-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped cauliflower pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat a soup pot with a little broth or water. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until both are golden.
Add the lentils, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Cover with 6 cups water. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes, tomatoes, and curry powder, and simmer until the potatoes are about half done, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
Stir in the spinach, cilantro, and lemon juice. Adjust the consistency with more water as needed, then season with salt and pepper. Simmer over very low heat for another 5 minutes. Serve at once or let stand for an hour before serving, then heat through as needed.
back to fatfreevegan.com