Curried Squash/Potato Soup
Submitted by: Courtney
Recipe by: Adapted from a Cooking Light Recipe
You can make this rich soup with any kind of squash, or even sweet potatoes.
- 8 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium veg broth, or homemade stock
Preheat oven to 400°.
Arrange squash in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add apple, onion, celery, and bay leaf; sauté 10 minutes. Stir in curry powder and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add squash, broth, and salt; stir well.
Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Partially mash mixture with a potato masher until thick and chunky; stir well with a spoon. Serve hot!
back to fatfreevegan.com