Green Bean and Chickpea Salad
Submitted by: Courtney
Recipe by: From The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein
- 3/4 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, homemade or canned
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside. In a medium stockpot or saucepan large enough to accommodate a 9-inch steaming basket, put a couple of inches of water. Place the steaming basket in the pot and add the green beans.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover tightly, reduce the heat to medium, and steam until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Carefully, remove the steaming basket and refresh the green beans in the ice water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
Cut the beans diagonally into 2-inch lengths and place in a large shallow bowl, along with the chickpeas and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add to the green bean mixture, tossing thoroughly to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Toss again.
Serve at room temperature. Or cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and serve chilled.
back to fatfreevegan.com