Squash with Cumin Dressing
Recipe By :Stir-Fry Classics, Weight Watchers Magazine
Serving Size : 4
Colorful salad for fall and winter: red and green peppers, yellow squash dressed with citrus, cumin, and mint
14 ounces cooked pumpkin-squash slices -- see preparation
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
2 teaspoons cumin seeds (whole)
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced onion
2 teaspoons sugar
pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 ounce chopped peanuts
fresh mint sprigs -- for garnish
1. SQUASH AND PEPPERS: *Halve the bell peppers; core; cut into thin strips. *Pare and see butternut or acorn SQUASH. Steam. Slice into strips same thickness and length as the peppers. *In large shallow bowl, combine squash and peppers; set aside.
2. In small nonstick skillet, toast cumin seeds, stirring constantly, until golden brown and fragrant. Transfer half of the seeds to spice mill or mini jar of blender, process until crushed. (See tip for other ways to crush seed.)
3. In small bowl, combine mint, orange and lemon juice, onion, sugar, salt, pepper and the crushed cumin seeds.
4. Add dressing to squash; toss gently to combine.
5. Transfer to shallow serving bowl; sprinkle with peanuts and whole toasted cumin seeds. Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, up to 4 hours. Serve at room temperature, garnished with mint sprigs.
TIP - If desired, seeds may be crushed using a mortar and pestle; or place between two sheets of wax paper and crushed with a rolling pin.
EACH: 117 cals; 4g total fat; 20g carb; 4g fiber; 2 WW Winning points.
back to fatfreevegan.com