Savory Breakfast Polenta
Recipe by: K. Allrich
- 1 cup polenta (coarse yellow cornmeal)
- 1 cup frozen yellow or white corn kernels, thawed
- 4 oz. canned chopped mild green chilies
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese , optional
- 3 1/4 cups water, boiled
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash of cumin, to taste
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. In a mixing bowl stir together the polenta, corn, green chilies and grated vegan cheese. Add the hot water and seasonings, and mix well.
3. Pour into in a lightly sprayed 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Bake the polenta mixture until the water is absorbed and the polenta is cooked and soft, about 25 minutes. Stir the polenta once during the baking time.
Top spoonfuls of hot cooked polenta with your favorite breakfast/brunch foods. Try it smothered with baked beans and pineapple, or sliced fresh avocado and sweet grape tomatoes, or saute'ed spinach and mushrooms, or an assortment of roasted veggies.
Note: Polenta is a gluten-free grain; to make this recipe strictly gluten-free choose a GF vegan cheese.
back to fatfreevegan.com