Middle Eastern Chickpeas With Couscous
Recipe By : adapted from Woman's Day Magazine, May 14, 2002, page 170
Serving Size : 4
1 tbsp water
1 medium yellow squash cut in half lengthwise then crosswise in 1/2-in.-thick slices
1 zucchini cut in half lengthwise then crosswise in 1/2-in.-thick slices
29 ounces diced tomatoes with onion and garlic -- (canned)
19 ounces chickpeas -- rinsed
20 pitted kalamata olives -- (see Tip)
1/3 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander -- (optional)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 5/8 ounces boxed couscous with toasted pine nuts -- (5.6 ounces)
SERVES 4, PREP: 7 min, COOK: About 25 min, PER SERVING: $1.78
1. Heat water in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add yellow squash and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Add remaining ingredients except couscous; stir to mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover skillet and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
3. Uncover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes longer until liquid is reduced slightly.
4. Meanwhile prepare couscous as box directs.
5. Serve chickpea mixture over couscous.
Tip: Pitted marinated Greek kalamata olives are available in jars.
Posted to Veg-Recipes list
back to fatfreevegan.com